About CBD Cannabis Oil
Cannabis oil is trending as a medical discovery that puts many pharmaceutical drugs to shame. For not only is cannabis oil completely natural, but so too is it uniquely powerful as a medicinal alternative.
People worldwide are choosing natural therapies above brand names marketed in bulk and produced by pharmaceutical corporations. So many drugs have terrible side effects, sometimes worse than the ailment itself. Except cannabis oil – this natural medicinal compound that has no negative side effects.
What is Cannabis Oil?
Cannabis oil is the thick, sticky ingredient that is removed from the cannabis leaves and plants. This resin contains numerous chemical compounds called cannabinoids.
Most people use or know about the two main cannabinoids:
- Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) – a psychoactive compound prevalent in cannabis that makes the user high; mostly illegal as it is a controlled “drug” in most countries.
- Cannabidiol (CBD) – a non-psychoactive, second most abundant compound found in cannabis, with few side effects; mostly legal, especially as medical cannabis.
Cannabis Oil Insights
Knowing the facts about cannabis oil reinforces the reasons why it should be legal. As scientists garner more proof about its medical powers, so doctors prescribe cannabis oil as medication. And people are getting better. That is the bottom line – cannabis oil makes people better. Mentally, emotionally and physically.
Cannabis oil is also called dagga olie, hemp oil, cbd oil and weed oil. In a technical sense, cannabis oil is a sticky resin extracted from the cannabis leaves and flowers and used as an alternative, natural medicine. Various methods are used to extract the oils and most of these contain THC and CBD.
Cannabis Oil Uses
Medical cannabis has already survived a long history – ancient physicians in many parts of the world mixed cannabis into medicines to treat pain and other ailments. Initially, cannabis was reduced to a powder and mixed with wine for consumption! In the 1970’s, drug companies created synthetic THC as Marinol, a capsule drug. However, most people smoked cannabis because its effects are almost immediate when the smoke is inhaled. In the mid-1900s, medical interest in the use of cannabis began to grow in the West. Cannabis was one of the secret ingredients in several so-called patent medicines. Then more than 280 producers made at least 2 000 cannabis medicines before 1937.
Medical CBD Cannabis Oil
Many different cannabis strains are jointly called medical cannabis. A cannabis plant includes more than 400 different chemicals, of which about 70 are cannabinoids. This makes treatment with cannabis difficult to study and categorise.
Many scientists have concluded that it is the ratio of CBD to THC that determines how therapeutic the medical cannabis oil will be, as opposed to being too psychoactive. There should be more CBD than THC for medicinal purposes as the CBD mitigates the psychoactive qualities of the THC, rendering a potent medication that can successfully treat many disorders.
Today, people are choosing CBD cannabis oil to boost their present health status quos – it can be taken as a daily “supplement” for a strong immune system. It can also be taken to treat myriad human ailments, from the common to the chronic.
You can use cannabis oil for:
- Heart disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Ovarian Cancer
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Differences between Cannabis and Hemp
Cannabis oil has been confused with hemp oil. Both oils come from the Cannabis sativa plant. Cannabis is grown and produced in 3 ways: herbal (dried flowering tops and leaves); resin (flattened solid made from the sticky substance in the plant); oil (an extract of cannabis leaves and flowers).
- Cannabis – contains THC and CBD, amongst many other cannabinoids. Cannabis is also called marijuana and is grown for its medical and recreational uses. The THC makes people high and now growers are engineering plants high in THC for the recreational market. The CBD content in cannabis oil is also high and therefore cannabis oil is used to cure many ailments.
- Hemp – contains mostly CBD and is used as a general health booster, plus medicinal therapy. Hemp is mostly grown for its fibre and seeds, used in manufacturing and to create health products. The lack of THC makes hemp a safer, more acceptable health therapy, used for nutritional and medicinal purposes. Hemp oil is revered for its ideal omega 3 / omega 6 ratio while CBD oil is used as a medication, with no side effects.
Remember that cannabis oil is an extract, not an essential oil.
Cannabis Oil and the Endocannabinoid System
When it comes to cannabis oil, scientists have revealed that despite the slight addictive qualities of cannabis oil, its potential for abuse and addiction, the therapeutic use of the cannabinoids cannot be ignored. Cannabinoids can treat human illnesses, often with success.
THC and CBD work with the body’s endocannabinoid system, an ancient system comprising cannabinoid receptors, endogenous cannabinoids that zone in on these receptors, enzymes that cause changes in the endocannabinoid system and more. Vital endocannabinoids aim to ensure the balance of pleasure, metabolism, moods, mental states, physical states and the processing of pain and sensory information.
Cannabis Oil and Cancer
Research has shown that THC and CBD interact with CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptors on cancer cells which encourages increased ceramide. This forces the cancer cells to commit suicide, or undergo programmed cell death, which is essential for the maintenance of normal cellular homeostasis and is an important physiological response to many forms of cellular stress.
Usually cancer cells do not die but continue to spread and multiply. So when patients take cannabis oils constantly for a period of time, they keep up the metabolic pressure on cancer cells to die and to stop proliferating. It is therefore safe to say that cannabis oil can kill your cancer.
- Tinctures – a solution of cannabis oil and organic coconut oil to increase absorption; the best form of cannabis oil for use during the day. You can have 3 drops – or you can have 15 drops if you are treating a serious disease like cancer, but still need to stay sharp during the day.
- Capsules – the best way to take cannabis oil if you need quite a big dose at the time. Each capsule contains approximately 30 drops of cannabis oil and works best if you are treating a chronic disease like cancer. Capsules are metabolised by the liver on the first pass and therefore are highly psychoactive.
- Pain Cream – perfect if you have pain in specific areas of your body. Or maybe you simply can’t take cannabis oil in any other form. Rub it into joints, muscles and skin.
Cannabis Therapy is South Africa’s best online resource for medical cannabis oil.
Our highly skilled team at Cannabis Therapy is working tirelessly to keep our clients and patients up to date with the latest trends and developments in the cannabis world. We are in touch with new developments currently occurring as per legislation, including how best to develop products for medical purposes, and what additional support can be offered to our patients. Our cannabis oils, and supporting products, are very powerful at helping manage serious illnesses, including, but not limited to, Cancer, Alzheimer’s Disease, Epilepsy, Diabetes and Multiple Sclerosis.
The Cannabis Therapy team is on hand 24/7 to assist clients and patients – and provide current education on cannabis oil and our supporting products. We are also here to give advice regarding how best to utilise them. Our ultimate goal is to help thousands of South Africans enjoy a richer quality of life.
Note: Please be advised that all content and information on our website is specifically aimed at offering information concerning cannabis and its derivative products. We strongly suggest that you do not start any cannabis therapy before active consultation with your doctor or specialist.